Car Accident Attorneys in Jacksonville NC
Even a seemingly minor crash can leave you with major injuries. You may be facing expensive medical bills and missing time from work due to your injuries. To make matters worse, you may be stuck without a car to get around. The ripple effects of a crash can quickly consume your life. But you shouldn’t have to pay for someone else’s mistake. Let a Jacksonville, N.C., car accident lawyer from The Law Offices of John Drew Warlick, P.A., help you get your life back.
For three generations, our car accident law firm has been fighting for the rights of crash victims throughout Jacksonville, Onslow County, Camp Lejeune, and the surrounding areas. As lawyers who are local to Jacksonville, we use our extensive network and resources to ensure our clients have access to the medical treatment they need and that their losses are thoroughly documented. Our comprehensive approach to car accident claims enables us to pursue maximum compensation for our clients.
For your free consultation, call us or contact us online. Our experienced Jacksonville, N.C., car accident attorneys will work directly with you throughout the entire process to pursue the fair compensation you deserve.
How Our Jacksonville, NC, Car Accident Attorney Can Help You
After an auto accident, a lot of people accept an insurance company’s decision. Maybe the insurance company offers a settlement, or maybe they deny a valid claim. It’s important to know that you have rights and that you don’t have to simply go along with what an insurance company decides. A car accident attorney in Jacksonville, N.C., can help you understand your rights and advocate for the full compensation you deserve.
Some important ways that an attorney from our firm can help with your car accident claim include:
- Gathering and preserving all the evidence and documentation that your claim will require, including expert accident reconstruction analysis
- Managing all communications, phone calls, and emails with insurance companies and those who are responsible for the accident
- Documenting the full extent of your losses, including medical bills, lost work, property damage, future anticipated expenses, pain and suffering, and other losses
- Negotiating aggressively for a settlement that fairly compensates you
- Taking your car accident lawsuit to court to seek justice, if that’s what is necessary
If you have questions about whether you need a Jacksonville, N.C., car accident lawyer to handle your case, please contact us now. A lawyer from our firm can meet with you for free, answer your questions, and help you decide your next steps.
Compensation for Your Car Accident Injury
The long-term effects of car accident injuries can be complex. So it’s important to know what compensation you may be entitled to receive. Depending on the circumstances of your case, you may be entitled to:
- Compensation for medical bills related to your car accident injury, as well as future anticipated medical expenses
- Coverage of any salary or wages that you lose because of your injuries, as well as a reduction in earning capacity for the future
- Compensation for the emotional distress, pain, and suffering that you experience
- Wrongful death compensation when someone passes away because of an accident
In North Carolina, these and other types of compensation may be available in your case. However, it’s also important to know that North Carolina has strict laws on when you can pursue compensation. North Carolina uses a rule known as “pure contributory negligence,” meaning that the law prevents you from recovering compensation if you were even partially responsible for the accident.
If you have questions about compensation or how North Carolina law may impact your claim, talk with a Jacksonville, N.C., car accident attorney today.
Time Limit for Filing a Car Accident Lawsuit in North Carolina
Like other states, North Carolina has clear time limits on how long you have to file a car accident lawsuit. Generally, you have three years from the accident’s date to file your claim. If someone passes away because of the accident, you have two years from the date the person died to bring a wrongful death claim.
There may be exceptions and other circumstances that affect how long you have to bring your lawsuit. After a motor vehicle accident, speak with a car accident lawyer as soon as possible to understand any time limits in your case and what you’ll need to do to move forward.
What to Do If You’ve Been Hurt in a Car Accident
A wreck can be a stressful and overwhelming experience. But during the time following an auto accident, there are important ways that you can protect your legal rights:
- Keep a journal about your pain and your experience after an accident. When you’re injured, it’s easy to lose track of time and to forget how you felt while you recovered. A journal can help you record what you experienced and help you remember how your injuries harmed you.
- Follow your doctor’s orders. Your doctor should give you clear instructions on the care and treatment you need. Always listen to your doctor, and make sure that you’re following through on his or her instructions. This includes getting the necessary diagnostics tests, attending all follow-up appointments, and getting the rest you need.
- Keep any records or evidence from the accident. Photos on your phone, witness information, license plate numbers, police reports, and any other evidence about the accident can be helpful. Gather it all into one place, if possible, and hold on to copies throughout your claim.
- Stay off social media, and don’t talk about your accident. Social media is incredibly popular these days, and it can be tempting to share what you are going through after an accident. But insurance companies or the other side could use any posts you make against you. When you’re dealing with the aftermath of an accident, it’s best to keep any information about yourself or the wreck off social media.
- Talk with a lawyer as soon as possible. An experienced car accident lawyer in Jacksonville, N.C., can review your case for free and answer any questions you might have. Our attorneys work on car accident claims every day, and we know what it takes to recover the full compensation you need.
What You Need to Know About Dealing with Insurance Companies After a Wreck
When you’re dealing with insurance companies, remember that they’re in business to make money. They’re not in business to maximize payments to you. Although they may seem friendly or offer you a settlement after an accident, they’re not focused on you and your future. They’re focused on closing the case and minimizing the amount they need to pay.
If you need to negotiate with an insurance company, a lawyer can serve as your advocate and your voice in the process. A lawyer works for you and not for an insurance company’s bottom line. After an accident, speak with an experienced lawyer and let your attorney handle any discussions with insurance companies.
Common Car Accident Injuries
Car crashes can lead to painful and devastating injuries for those involved. These injuries can put you in the hospital, take you out of work, and cause long-term pain that can impact your future. After a car accident in Onslow County, common injuries include:
- Broken bones. In a car crash, broken bones, broken ribs, and fractured skulls are all common injuries.
- Head injuries, including traumatic brain injury. Head injuries are one of the most dangerous types of injuries in a car accident because they can affect every part of your life. These serious injuries can even happen in low-speed accidents.
- Bruising. In an accident, it’s easy for you to end up with dangerous and painful bruising. While many bruises heal naturally, others may indicate more serious problems.
- Soft-tissue and joint damage. The force of a car accident can easily cause muscle tears and damaged joints that can lead to long-term problems.
- Scarring and disfigurement. Sharp edges, torn metal, and flying glass can leave injury victims with lasting scars.
- Bleeding and lacerations. After an accident, one of the greatest threats to injury victims is blood loss due to cuts. These serious injuries can cause a wide range of problems and even death if victims don’t get the care they need.
- Damage to internal organs. Sometimes injuries from an accident may be hidden under the surface. Internal bleeding and bruising can be fatal if victims don’t receive prompt medical treatment.
- Whiplash. Whiplash is a common injury, particularly when victims are rear-ended by another vehicle. This can cause long-term neck pain and mobility problems.
- Spinal cord injuries. Spinal cord injuries are among the most serious injuries that can happen in an accident. Even with rapid and high-quality medical care, victims may still suffer paralysis and lifelong problems.
- Damage to extremities such as arms and legs. Car crashes can cause serious damage to victims’ arms and legs. This can permanently harm a victim’s mobility and the ability to earn a living.
Common Causes of Car Accidents
As your attorneys, we will work to identify the cause of your crash and identify all potentially liable parties. Some of the leading causes of car accidents in Jacksonville, N.C., include:
- Distracted driving and failure to keep attention on the road
- Drowsy or sleepy driving
- Drunk or drugged driving
- Speeding or going too fast for road conditions
- Following too closely or tailgating
- Inexperienced drivers
- Dangerous road problems such as potholes and ruts
- Unsafe weather conditions such as rain, snow, and ice
- Design or manufacturing defects such as rollover problems or tire blowouts
Talk to a Car Accident Lawyer in Jacksonville, NC
If you’ve been injured in an auto accident, contact The Law Offices of John Drew Warlick, P.A., today. Our car accident lawyers have decades of experience helping friends and neighbors, and we can put our extensive resources to work for you. After an accident, we know how hard you have to fight for your recovery. Let us fight for you.
For a free consultation, call us or contact us online now. We’re always available to answer your questions. And we do not charge any fees unless we win money for you.