Skip to content
Banner Image

When you need a government vehicle lawyer local to Jacksonville, N.C., call on us.
We are committed to fighting for our friends and neighbors.

Auto Accidents with Government Vehicle Attorneys in Jacksonville NC

Accidents Involving Government Vehicles

After a car accident, most people expect they can file an insurance claim and work toward a resolution. Usually, this is true. But when a government vehicle is involved in the accident, it’s a different story. Detailed rules, limits on who you can sue, and many other complications can arise when the government is involved in an accident.

At The Law Offices of John Drew Warlick, P.A., our dedicated government vehicle accident attorneys have decades of experience standing up for the rights of individuals who’ve been hurt in crashes. We have extensive experience handling cases involving government vehicles, and we’re well-versed in the unique aspects of representing military personnel and their families. Conveniently located near Camp Lejeune, we regularly work with our friends and neighbors when they’re hurt in government vehicle accidents.

If you’ve been injured and need to pursue a car accident case against the government, get the experienced and knowledgeable legal support you deserve. For a free and confidential consultation, call us or contact us online today.

Why Car Accident Claims Involving Government Vehicles Are Different

When you’re in an accident with a civilian motorist, the solution often seems clear. Pursue compensation from the person responsible, negotiate with insurance companies, and fight for the compensation you deserve. But when the government is involved, the rules are significantly different. Some of the key ways that a claim against the government is different include:

  • Unlike filing a claim against an individual, you can only sue the state or federal government when they allow you to. The government has special protections (known as “sovereign immunity”) against lawsuits. Thankfully, there are exceptions where individuals can bring cases after a car accident with government vehicles.
  • Special laws may apply, such as the North Carolina Tort Claims Act and the Federal Tort Claims Act. These rules govern many lawsuits against the state and federal governments. In cases involving government vehicles, you will need a car accident lawyer who has an in-depth understanding of these laws.
  • You might not be able to sue the individual who caused the accident. When government employees are carrying out their duties, they may be immune from lawsuits. That means you may need to sue a government agency or other entity to get compensation.
  • Claims can get more complicated if contractors are involved. Contractors are not government employees. But they may be working closely with the government at locations near military bases and other federal facilities. If so, they may have limited government immunity.
  • Claims against the government may face caps on compensation. Unlike many other types of lawsuits, there may be caps on how much compensation you can get directly from the government. A lawyer can help you understand whether these caps apply and whether alternative sources of compensation may be available.

These are only a few of the ways that a claim against the government can be different from typical car accidents. If you have been hurt in a crash with a government vehicle or a government employee, make sure that you have an experienced lawyer on your side.

Demanding Compensation After Auto Accident with Government Employee

After an accident in Onslow County, you may be entitled to many different types of compensation. Depending upon your injuries and your losses, compensation may include:

  • The cost of current and future medical treatment you need for your injuries.
  • Compensation for your lost income and damage to your future earnings.
  • Compensation for the pain and suffering caused by your injuries.
  • Property replacement and repair costs.

Time Limit for Filing a Car Accident Case Against the Government

The time limit to bring a lawsuit against the government will depend upon the government entity that was involved:

  • For example, if you’re involved in an accident with a local or North Carolina government entity, you may need to file within three years of the accident. If someone passed away because of the accident, then you may need to file within two years of their passing.
  • However, the time limit for a personal injury case against the federal government is different. If you need to bring a case against a federal agency, then you may only have two years to take action.

In either case, a Jacksonville, N.C., car accident with a government vehicle lawyer can analyze your case and advise you on your next steps. If you’ve been injured, speak with an attorney as soon as you can.

What to Do If You’ve Been Hurt in a Collision with a Government Vehicle

An accident with a government vehicle can lead to severe injuries, costly medical treatment, lost wages from time off of work, and more. It’s a stressful and painful time, but there are steps you can take to protect yourself and your claim for compensation. If you’ve been hurt:

  • Save any information related to your accident. This could include photos, witness information, a copy of the police accident report, and any other relevant items. These documents can help your attorney build your case and pursue the compensation you deserve.
  • Keep any records related to your injuries and how they’ve impacted you. These could include medical records, treatment plans, and bills.
  • Write down your experience after an accident. This could include how you feel while you recover. A journal could help you organize your thoughts and demonstrate what you are going through.
  • Avoid social media and don’t make statements about the accident. Social media has become important to many people, but there’s a danger that your statements could be public. The other side could find them and use them against you.
  • Speak with a government car accident attorney in Onslow County. Our lawyers work with government vehicle accidents regularly and can help you understand what to do next.

We Handle All Types of Government Vehicle Accidents

The government has fleets of vehicles for its work. At The Law Offices of John Drew Warlick, P.A., we handle accident cases involving all types of government vehicles, including:

  • Buses
  • Garbage trucks
  • Maintenance trucks
  • Tow trucks
  • Military vehicles
  • Passenger vans
  • Fire trucks
  • Police vehicles
  • Street sweepers
  • Dump trucks
  • Mobile health vehicles

Talk to a Jacksonville, NC, Car Accident with a Government Vehicle Lawyer Now

If you need to pursue an injury claim after a collision with a government vehicle, contact The Law Offices of John Drew Warlick, P.A., today. Our attorneys have stood up for the rights of our clients for three generations, and we stand ready to help you.

We offer a free and confidential consultation about your accident. To speak with us about your wreck, call us or contact us online today.

Associations & Awards
  • super lawyers john d. warlick, jr
  • super lawyers robert a. warlick
  • best lawyers john warlick
  • bar register
  • best lawyers robert warlick
  • american college of trial lawyers
  • best lawyers
Jacksonville Office Location
Jacksonville Office