Motorcycle Accident Attorneys in Jacksonville NC
When you’re on a motorcycle, the road can feel like an exciting place full of possibilities. But that can change in an instant. Motorcycle riders have little protection, and even a small mistake by someone else on the road can put you in the hospital and leave you wondering how you’ll recover. At times like these, you need an experienced Jacksonville, N.C., motorcycle accident lawyer.
The Law Offices of John Drew Warlick, P.A., is here for you. We’re proud to look out for those who have been injured in motorcycle accidents, and we have decades of experience serving the people of Jacksonville, Camp Lejeune, and Onslow County. For three generations, we’ve advocated for accident victims and helped them pursue the compensation they deserve.
After a motorcycle accident, don’t let a reckless driver pin the blame on you. Our talented attorneys are always available to talk and answer your questions in a free case review. Call us or contact us online today to get started.
Why Are Motorcycle Accident Claims More Complex?
Motorcycle accidents are often more complex than car accidents. Some of the reasons that a motorcycle accident may be more complex include:
- Motorcycles offer much less protection than cars and other vehicles, and a rider’s injuries can be severe. Unlike passengers in average cars, motorcycle riders are exposed to every threat on the road. Even with experience, preparation, and high-quality safety gear, a rider can still wind up with major injuries even after a minor accident. The process of investigating these injuries and proving fault can often take a long time and can be complicated if the rider cannot communicate what happened.
- Motorcycles weigh less and can be thrown, damaged, or destroyed. In a typical accident, investigators can quickly get an idea of what happened. But when a motorcycle is involved, the investigation may take more time and effort. Motorcycles can easily be moved or destroyed by another vehicle, meaning that it may be challenging for investigators to retrace what happened.
- Your experience riding a motorcycle may make a claim more complex because motorcycles handle very differently than cars. Insurance companies often look for reasons to deny a claim or show that you were at fault. As part of a claim, they may try to show that you were at fault and didn’t have the experience you needed to operate the motorcycle correctly.
- Some people try to blame the motorcycle rider for an accident. Motorcycle riders take safety seriously, but many people think of riders as reckless. Motorcycle accident claims may be more complex when those involved assume that the motorcycle rider was at fault rather than looking at what actually happened.
How Our Jacksonville, NC, Motorcycle Accident Attorney Can Help
After a motorcycle accident, the stress and pain can feel overwhelming. Many people who weren’t responsible for an accident simply accept what an insurance company offers and try to move on with their lives. But they may be missing out on important advice and support that could help them recover full compensation and move forward. Some of the ways that a Jacksonville, N.C., motorcycle accident lawyer can help include:
- Listening to your story and answering your questions. After an accident, you may be unsure of what happens next. You need an experienced attorney who has handled many motorcycle claims throughout the area. Our attorneys know how to build a claim and stand up for you. We will listen to what happened, answer any questions you have about your rights, and work with you to move your claim forward.
- Finding all sources of compensation. When you’ve been involved in a motorcycle wreck, there may be sources of compensation that you aren’t aware of. Our lawyers in Onslow County can identify key sources of compensation and help you seek the recovery you deserve.
- Handling all the paperwork involved in your claim. A motorcycle crash can involve lots of paperwork. Insurance forms, medical records, accident reports, and many other documents may be part of a claim. Our motorcycle accident lawyer in Jacksonville, N.C., can let you know what documents your case will need, then work to acquire them.
- Negotiating a settlement that works for you. Insurance companies are focused on minimizing the amounts that they payout. They’re not focused on maximizing your compensation, but your lawyer is. A lawyer can stand up for you and your rights while working to negotiate the full compensation you deserve.
- Aggressively advocating for you in court. Some motorcycle wreck cases may need to go to court. If that happens, an experienced attorney from our firm can be extremely helpful. We can handle any court filings, explain how the process will work, and advocate for you throughout your motorcycle accident lawsuit. No matter what your court case needs, our lawyers can help.
What You Need to Know About Proving Fault
Proving fault in a motorcycle crash can be a lengthy and complicated process. In North Carolina, the process can be even more challenging because the state uses what’s known as a pure contributory negligence rule. That means that if you were even partially at fault in an accident, you may not be able to recover compensation. However, an experienced motorcycle accident lawyer in Jacksonville, N.C., can review your case and help you understand the best path forward after your wreck.
Compensation After a Motorcycle Accident in NC
Motorcycle accidents can take an enormous toll on riders and their passengers. With a motorcycle accident claim, you may be able to seek compensation for damages such as:
- Medical expenses. A motorcycle wreck can lead to enormous medical bills. Complicated surgeries, a hospital stay, and health care equipment afterward are just a few of the costs that could add up. As part of a motorcycle accident case in North Carolina, you may seek compensation for any current and future medical care you need.
- Lost wages. When you’re involved in a motorcycle accident, you could be out of work and unable to perform your job. As part of a claim, you may seek compensation for the time you miss from your job. If an accident damages your ability to earn a living, you may even be able to seek compensation for your lost future earning potential.
- Pain and suffering. An accident can leave you with long-term pain and emotional injuries. As part of a motorcycle crash claim, you may be able to seek compensation for these injuries.
- Wrongful death losses. If you’ve lost someone in a motorcycle accident, you may be able to seek compensation for your loss. Speak with a motorcycle accident attorney today to understand your options.
Each motorcycle crash case is unique. Your compensation options will depend upon the facts of the case. If you’ve been in a crash, talk with a Jacksonville, N.C., motorcycle accident attorney about how you can move forward.
What to Do After a Motorcycle Accident in Jacksonville, NC
A motorcycle crash is a stressful and painful experience that can take you out of work and put you in the hospital. But it’s important to remember that you can take steps to defend yourself and your claim. When you’ve been in a motorcycle accident, these tips can help you protect your rights:
- See your doctor right away. Always follow through on your doctor’s instructions after an accident. The medical care and instructions you get after an accident can be a crucial part of your claim. By following your doctor’s orders, you are taking steps to heal, and you’re protecting your accident claim.
- Gather and hold any information or records related to your accident. A motorcycle accident claim needs support and evidence to succeed. You should safeguard any medical records, accident scene pictures, and any other documents or items that could be helpful to your claim.
- Write down how you feel after the accident and during your recovery. Your feelings and your experience can be central to proving your claim if your case goes to court.
- Stay off social media, and don’t talk about your accident. Too many people think that social media is a safe place to share their thoughts. But this often isn’t true. Anything you write online could be publicly accessible and could be used against you. The safest option is to refrain from using social media until after your case is settled or tried.
- Talk with a motorcycle accident lawyer in Jacksonville, N.C. While you may feel overwhelmed, our experienced attorneys have handled many motorcycle accident lawsuits as part of our careers. We know which steps you can take to protect yourself, and we will fight for you after an accident.
Time Limit for Filing a Motorcycle Accident Lawsuit in NC
While each motorcycle crash case is unique, the general rule is that you’ll have three years from the accident date to file a lawsuit. If someone passed away because of a motorcycle crash, then you’ll usually have two years from the date they pass away to file a wrongful death claim. If you have questions about how long you have to file a lawsuit, speak with a lawyer today.
Common Injuries in Motorcycle Accidents
In a motorcycle crash, devastating injuries are all too common. Some of the most common motorcycle accident injuries include:
- Broken bones. The force of a motorcycle accident regularly results in broken bones for riders and their passengers. While some bones may heal over time, others may cause lingering pain.
- Traumatic brain injuries. Even the best motorcycle helmet can’t prevent all brain injuries. These serious and often lethal injuries can put you out of work permanently.
- Road rash. Motorcycle riders understand the risks of being on the road and how painful an accident can be. Road rash occurs when a rider falls from the bike and skids along the road, leading to painful cuts and skin damage.
- Scarring. Protective gear can do a lot for a rider’s safety, but it’s often not enough. A motorcycle accident can easily leave riders with serious and permanent scars.
- Spinal cord injuries. Spinal cord injuries can result in partial or total paralysis.
- Orthopedic injuries. Joints, muscles, and soft tissues can take a beating in an accident, and tears or ruptures can reduce your mobility and leave you in pain.
- Disfigurement and facial injuries. A sad reality of some motorcycle accidents is that riders may end up with lasting disfigurement. While surgeries may correct some of the damage, accident victims may be left with permanent disfigurement.
- Emotional distress. Accidents can leave you with depression, anxiety, and other serious emotional conditions. In a motorcycle accident claim, you may seek compensation for these injuries.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
Leading causes of motorcycle accidents include:
- Left-turn accidents
- Other drivers failing to notice a motorcycle
- Defective motorcycle parts
- Drivers opening a door in front of riders
- Hazardous road conditions such as potholes
Talk to a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Jacksonville, NC
If you’ve been injured in a motorcycle accident, get in touch with The Law Offices of John Drew Warlick, P.A., today. As an established firm with extensive resources and decades of experience, we can help you seek the compensation you deserve. For three generations, we’ve served the people of Jacksonville, Camp Lejeune, and Onslow County. We are here to fight for our friends and neighbors.
Contact us today for a free consultation.