Drunk Driving Accident Attorneys in Jacksonville NC
When drunk drivers decide to get on the road, their actions can lead to terrible injuries and even the loss of life. At The Law Offices of John Drew Warlick, P.A., we understand the painful consequences that come along with a drunk driving crash. Our dedicated Jacksonville, N.C., drunk driving accident lawyers have helped countless people and families demand justice after devastating wrecks. Although no amount of money can undo what you’ve been through, we will demand the maximum compensation you need to recover.
To learn more about how our attorneys can help with your drunk driving accident case, contact us online or call us now. We offer a free and confidential consultation about your case. There is no charge unless we recover money for you.
Understanding Drunk Driving Accident Liability
When you’re in an accident, it can seem like a drunk driving claim should be straightforward. But it’s important to know that many different laws may apply. Depending upon who was driving and who served the driver, there may be very different parties who are ultimately liable for the accident.
- Negligent drivers. At the end of the day, the driver behind the wheel is responsible for the behavior that led to the accident. As part of your case, a drunk driving accident lawyer in Jacksonville, N.C., can investigate your crash, gather evidence about what happened, and help hold negligent drivers accountable for their decisions.
- Dram shop liability. In North Carolina, bars and other organizations that serve alcohol could be liable for your injuries. When these establishments over-serve an individual, or serve alcohol to someone underage, and that person causes an accident that injures you, the bar or establishment could be liable.
- Social host liability. Like dram shop liability, social hosts who give alcohol to guests could be liable after an accident. The social host may be a homeowner or someone who is throwing a party. In cases where they should have been aware that someone was intoxicated and that person was about to drive, then the social host could be held liable.
Compensation After a Drunk Driving Accident in Jacksonville, NC
When you’re involved in a drunk driving accident, you could face life-threatening injuries. These injuries can require extensive medical care and years of treatment to address. They could even prevent you from working and earning the money that you need to get by. After a drunk driving accident, compensation that may be available to you could include:
- Any medical costs related to your injuries. This could include the cost of your treatment, hospital stays, surgeries, doctor visits, medications, etc. If you need long-term treatment or special equipment to manage your injuries, you can seek payment for this as part of your claim.
- The lost wages you suffer and the damage to your future earnings. After an accident, you may be facing injuries that can prevent you from working now and in the future. You can seek compensation for these losses.
- Pain, suffering, and emotional distress compensation. Some injuries can leave victims with lasting pain that follows them around in the future. An accident can also cause serious psychological harm. As part of a claim, you can pursue compensation for your non-physical injuries.
Speak with a drunk driving accident lawyer in Jacksonville, N.C., to understand what compensation may be available in your case.
Time Limit for Filing a Drunk Driving Accident Lawsuit in NC
If you were injured in a car accident in Onslow County, you’ll usually have three years from the date of the crash to file a drunk driving accident lawsuit. If someone passes away because of the accident, you typically have two years from the date your loved one died to file a wrongful death claim. However, there may be situations that can affect these time limits.
Talk to a lawyer from our firm as soon as possible to ensure you do not miss any important deadlines in your case.
Difference Between Criminal DWI Charges and a Civil Case
There’s a huge difference between a criminal DWI charge and a civil case covering the same accident.
In a criminal case, the state will bring charges against an individual suspected of driving while intoxicated. A criminal case typically has a higher standard of proof than a civil case and can result in prison time, loss of license, or other punishments for the accused.
On the other hand, individuals who were affected by an accident bring a civil case. A civil case is a way for victims to seek compensation for their injuries and losses. This compensation could be for medical bills, emotional suffering, and many other losses.
How a Jacksonville, NC, Drunk Driving Accident Lawyer Can Help You
The time after a drunk driving accident can be stressful, leaving you with questions about your next steps. A Jacksonville, N.C., drunk driving accident attorney from The Law Offices of John Drew Warlick, P.A., can help you understand your options and advise you on what steps to take. We work to take the pressure off you during this difficult time.
Some of the important ways that a drunk driving accident lawyer in Jacksonville, N.C., could help include:
- Explaining North Carolina law and what it means for your claim
- Answering any questions that you have
- Identifying all sources of compensation that may be available
- Serving as your advocate and managing any discussions with insurance companies
- Aggressively negotiating for a full settlement that works for you
- Taking your drunk driving accident lawsuit to court if that’s what is necessary
If you have been injured in a drunk driving accident, contact The Law Offices of John Drew Warlick, P.A., today. Our knowledgeable lawyers have decades of experience fighting for people in your shoes. Whether you need to talk over the phone or want to meet in person, we’re here for you.
For your free consultation, call us or contact us online today.